1660 and The First Ice-Cream

• 6 July, 2010 at 09:23 #556
    anne

[center][/center]In the kitchens of the Royal household , and in those of leading members of the court, the cooks had to develop new skills from the early 1660's, when ice-cream began to be made in England.
    By constructing straw-thatched ice-houses or snow pits, dug deep into the ground, it was now possible to keep stocks of winter ice throughout the year.
    When ice-cream was required, blocks of ice were brought into the kitchen, broken into lumps, and packed around a small metal pan containing sweetened cream, perhaps flavoured with orange flower water. Having been left to freeze for a couple of hours, it was then turned out on to a salver and sent up to the table, where it formed an interesting delicacy for the banquet table.

All a little different to today when we buy by the kilo if we fancy! It isn't considered such a treat nowadays either.

9 July, 2010 at 10:17 #668
    Martin
    Keymaster

Now that sounds much more like it Anne!

My question though, is when did ice cream become accessible to all? Probably not till after the war? And then only as a treat on trips to the seaside? Certainly as a young boy I remember ice creams being associated with holidays, but then we would not have had a freezer until I was well into my teens.

I also seem to remember that most of the ice cream sellers were Italians? Is that just me, or is it really the case? If so why?

10 July, 2010 at 08:59 #669
    anne

I think that my first memory of ice-cream was having an ice-cream wafer in the interval at the pictures as a teenager. You can't get those now can you? There are so many more different types to chose from nowadays.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.