Darley family of Sheffield, England- William Darley born 1796? Brass Founder

• 16 July, 2014 at 06:53 #2730
    Poppy1879
    Participant

Wife Mary born 1796. Daughter Margaret born 1821 (my Grand Great Grandmother). Margaret also had a brother Thomas who is mentioned on this site. She married Peter Connolly (stonemason) 1844, had 2 children ( that I know of) Ellen (my Great Grandmother born 1844, Elizabeth born 1849?. Peter and Margaret died young possibly 1850s but can’t find any death records. Ellen I think was adopted by her Uncle James Darley who may have owned the Green Dragon pub. I don’t know if there were other siblings or what happened to Elizabeth Connolly. Ellen married Abraham Stevens (grocer I in Sheffield) in 1862 and they moved to Australia. I am trying to find more information about this family- have looked on Ancestry.com and FindMyPast for death of Margaret and Peter with no success.
    Any information would be welcome

12 September, 2014 at 21:04 #2758
    Martin
    Keymaster

Hi Poppy,

I’ve begun taking a closer look at this family which I have to admit I haven’t previously researched beyond Thomas and his relationships to my own lines.

It looks to me as though his parents (and therefore those of Margaret) were William Darley and Mary Grayson. The reason you may have been having some difficulty tracing them is that they appear to have been Roman Catholics and the records are in non conformist record sets. I’ve found several more siblings and will begin entering details over the next few days. It would be great to work together on this so please feel free to contact me directly.

Best regards
    Martin

15 September, 2014 at 17:10 #2808
    Martin
    Keymaster

Hi Poppy,

If you are following this thread please contact me. I have unravelled your mystery and there’s a story to be told.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.