Froggatts of Froggatt, Calver, Baslow (Moorside and Robin Hood),Stonelow

• 20 June, 2010 at 06:28 #554
    Lizzie
    Participant

I am in the process of writing up the history of my branch of the Froggatt family.I and another researcher have traced the family back to the hamlet of Froggatt in the 16th century by means of documentary evidence. There is evidence in the Baslow Court Rolls that Froggott families were tenant farmers in Froggatt as far back as the 14th century. In the 16th century William Froggott started buying land and property in Froggatt and this property was passed on through his sons John and Thomas. He had another son William but we know nothing about him. My family descends from John, through his youngest son Thomas who became the tenant of a large farm in Calver, his landlords being the Eyres of Hassop. The tenancy of the farm remained in the hands of the same family until the mid 19th century. The house has been sympathetically restored and the barns have been converted into homes. In case anyone wants any more information I'll keep an eye on this forum. Jennifer Nicholas.

20 June, 2010 at 07:15 #666
    Lizzie
    Participant

Further to my previous post I should explain that proof of the connection between the Froggatts of Calver and the Froggatts of Froggatt comes via the will of John Froggatt of Beeley which is available for download from the National Archive site. He mentions relatives who can be identified in the Baslow Parish Registers.

There are several Froggatt families in Calver in the 17th century. Documentary evidence suggests that they were all closely connected to William Froggatt of Froggatt who died 1591.
    NB The place name and family name Froggatt appear as Froggott and Frogot in 16th century and 17th century documents.Jennifer Nicholas.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.