Moseley from Guisborough, Yorkshire

• 29 June, 2013 at 11:04 #2389
    jennigibson

Hello everyone,

On behalf of my good friend Christine Allen nee Moseley, I have been trying to research her paternal family line. I can only get back to her great grandfather, Charles Moseley, before I hit the proverbial brick wall. According to the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census records and his 1891 marriage certificate, he was born somewhere between 1849 and 1861 in Guisborough, Yorkshire to father John Moseley and mother unknown. Charles Moseley died at place unknown prior to the marriage of his son Lionel Charles Moseley in London in 1916. John Moseley had died prior to the marriage of Charles in 1891.

Charles Moseley married Annie Jane Marsh nee Eastwood in London in 1891. His marriage certificate indicates that he was born in 1861, and that he was a widower. I know of know children to this first marriage. Annie Jane Marsh already had at least two children when she married Charles Moseley in August of 1891. By 1901 the family is living apart. Lionel, who now states that he was born in Guisborough, Yorkshire in 1850 is now living at Camden Place Cottages in Chislehurst, Kent. He is working as a painter. In 1911 he states he was born in Guisborough, Yorkshire in 1849 and that he is a widower. However, I believe his wife died in 1932. I have her death certificate.

Does anyone reading this message know anything of this Charles Moseley? I cannot find him on the census prior to 1891. I cannot pinpoint his birth or death on FreeBMD, nor can I find a record of his first marriage. I have tried many variations of the name Moseley with no joy.I am particularly keen to know if he fathered any more children with his second wife, Annie May Marsh. I should mention here that Annie’s three children all appear to have been brought up with the surname Marsh. In the case of Lionel Charles who was born to Lionel Moseley in 1892, this seems quite odd, but may be explained by the fact that Charles and Annie were living apart for some reason.

I would be most greateful at all if anyone out there could shed some light on this Moseley family.

With thanks,

Jenni Gibson (Melbourne, Australia)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.