Samuel Ibberson

• 25 August, 2008 at 07:05 #514
    Teelawn
    Participant

One of my ancestors, ELIZABETH BAGGALEY was born 14 May 1820 in Sheffield Yks, and died 11 Jul 1897 in Sheffield Yks. She never married.

There is a family rumour that she had a 'Common Law Husband' SAMUEL IBBERSON, who fathered her 6 children. None of her children were baptised, that I can find, and all parishes searched. All the children were born between Sept 1838 & Dec 1855. Her son Amer Baggaley (1844-1912) was my g g Grandfather.

SAMUEL IBBERSON was said to be a wealthy man, who already had a wife and family. He was supposedly, descended from the EARL OF PEMBROKE, who had a liason with a French Immigre named ELIZABETH DE GRERE, but who knows!! – No proof found.

I wonder if the SAMUEL IBBERSON (1805 – 1886) born in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, who married Sarah Gamble in 1827 at Sheffield Cathedral, & later married his 2nd wife, Mary Watson in 1837 after Sarah's death in 1836, could possibly be the same man??

If anybody knows anything I would love to find out more.

Best Regards
    Teelawn 🙂

9 September, 2008 at 20:06 #621
    Martin
    Keymaster

Hi Teelawn,

We have been researching this one for you, and I regret to say we can find no evidence as yet, for your suggestions. That said the Ibberson family never cease to surprise so who knows what we may find? Anything new and we'll let you all know.

Best wishes
    Martin

15 September, 2008 at 01:35 #622
    Teelawn
    Participant

Hi Martin,

Thanks for that.

The only new info. I have is that Elizabeth is buried just behind Samuel Ibberson in the City cemetery, according to Florrie Baggaley, her grandaughter, this was the nearest plot that she could get to the 'love of her life'.

Maybe a trip to the cemetery would be useful?

I cannot personally, check this out, at the moment, as I'm now living in Australia.

Also, there is a Walter 'Ibbotson' living with Elizabeth as a lodger in the 1851 Census – as we all know census information often has the odd spelling error :-

[b]1851 Census – HO107/2339 folio 667 – Living at 6 Court, Edward Street, Sheffield[/b]
    Elizabeth Baggaley (31) – Head 'House Keeper' – [i]Elizabeth describes herself as married [/i]
    Edward Cumberlege (26) – Lodger & possibly Elizabeth's cousin?
    Walter Ibbotson (19) – Lodger – [i]Could this be Samuel Ibberson's son to his 1st wife, Sarah Gamble ??[/i]
    Henry Baggaley (10) -Son
    Celia J Baggaley (8) – Dtr
    Amer Baggaley (6) – Son
    Samuel Baggaley (2) – Son

If I find out anything else, I will let you know.

Best Regards

Tina (Teelawn)

15 September, 2008 at 15:48 #623
    Martin
    Keymaster

Hi Tina,

I have sent you a personal message, with a little more information regarding your Samuel.

Despite my last response, he was sat under our noses all the time. He is here on our tree, together with his son Walter, and eight other children. We do have a number of gaps to fill in, but I hope we can work together to fill them.

Best regards
    Martin

15 September, 2008 at 22:09 #624
    Teelawn
    Participant

Thanks Martin,

Yes the information I found on Samuel was in your tree actually 🙂

[b]Samuel IBBERSON (1805 – 1886)[/b]

[b]Generation: 1[/b]
    Samuel Ibberson b. Abt 1805, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England; d. 1886.

Samuel m. Sarah Gamble 1827, Cathedral St Peter & St Paul, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England. Sarah d. 1836.

Children:

William Gamble Ibberson
    Walter Ibberson

Samuel m. Mary Watson 1837. Mary b. Abt 1817.
    Children:

Allen Ibberson b. Abt 1839.
    Alfred Ibberson b. 01 Aug 1840, 11 Leadmill Rd, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England; d. 1932, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England.
    Sarah Ibberson b. Abt 1845.
    Selina Ibberson b. Abt 1848.
    Thomas Ibberson b. Circa 1850, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England.
    Arthur Ibberson b. Abt 1854.
    Susan Ibberson b. Abt 1856.

[b]Generation: 2[/b]
    Robert Ibberson b. Abt 1785; c. 21 Nov 1785, Cathedral St Peter & St Paul, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.

Robert m. Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Children:

1. Samuel Ibberson b. Abt 1805, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England; d. 1886.

[b]Generation: 3[/b]

William Ibberson b. Abt 1765; d. Aft 1841.

William m. Susannah Thompson 26 Dec 1784.

Susannah Thompson

Children:

2. Robert Ibberson b. Abt 1785; c. 21 Nov 1785, Cathedral St Peter & St Paul, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.
    William Ibberson b. Abt 1787.

I look forward to more digging!

Best wishes
    Tina

19 January, 2009 at 09:04 #625
    Beverley
    Participant

Hello Tina,

It's taken me a few weeks to track you down throught the internet, but I've finally done it.

Sorry for getting back to you personally by email, but I had a few problems with my internet supplier deleting emails from my 'To Keep' file. Hopefully you still have my email address has I inadvertently forgot to copy yours from my supplier's site address.

Hopefully you will be in touch once again

Best wishes
    Beverley

22 February, 2012 at 10:00 #947
    Martin
    Keymaster

Hi Helene,
    I’m contacting you off list and suggest that once we’ve clarified the above, we bring this back to the forum for other Ibberson researchers.

Regards

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.